Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring is here!

I have to admit…spring is my absolute favorite time of year. I love walking by the flower beds and seeing those teeny tiny sprouts beginning to pop up…and trying to guess what they are. So, I haven’t been very productive in my studio lately.

Grow in the Sun, 5"x7" mixed media on paper

The girls and I have elected to play in the new sandbox or play on the swing set rather than sit at the table and admire the beautiful weather through the window. And thanks to daylight savings time it stays light well into the evening hours. So, we get to indulge our passion for the great outdoors until bath time, when the girls deposit all collected bugs, worms, snails, feathers and sticks and race to the tub where they are ritually scrubbed free of sand and mud…then they wake up ready to do it all again, which is fine with me!

Sing in the Breeze, 5"x7" mixed media on paper


What do you love most about springtime?
I love seeing tiny shoots popping up out of the ground…the smell of hyacinths (in moderation) and lilac blowing on the wind, the thought that in another month I’ll be able to plant my vegetable garden and get fresh produce from the local farmer’s market…the fact that I’m free, no longer confined to the indoors…


Here are a couple new-ish pieces that were done with spring in mind. To make each of the pieces, I transferred a flower image onto a piece of vintage ledger paper, then added a phrase from a vintage reader and embellished with black thread. I think I’ve sewn more paper with sewing machine than cloth. I wonder if sewing through paper, glue and paint could be bad for the machine…hmmm.


Hope you enjoy the post...and the beautiful spring weather if you happen to be experiencing springtime where you live.




10 comments:

glimmering prize said...

this is beautiful and your new blog backgroud is so lovely! thanks for sending some love to my facebook page!

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Your two new Spring influenced items are stunning..We are actually having a bit of Spring here finally..at least for a few days. Love the sun on my face and the fact I can have the windows open...Great post.

Kathy said...

Beautiful Alisa~
I am glad you and you're girls are enjoying Spring to much! Nothing wrong with that. I wish I had the garden bug! I do not....
Happy Anniversary to you and hubby too.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Your days sound like sheer bliss...I remember those days when the boys were little and we did the same....spent the whole day outdoors, playing in the sandbox, riding trikes on the driveway and exploring the world....it went by so fast and I am a bit melancholy reading about your fun....they grow SO fast...enjoy every moment...I know you are :) And your new spring art pieces are lovely !!!

julie king said...

love these new-ish pieces! they are just wonderful.

My Journey to Hope said...

These new pieces are beautiful. Very different from what I've seen of yours before, but I really love it. The use of writing and photo and texture is so inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing your springtime images!

-Michelle

reagan said...

Just beautiful! Love your banner too:-)

Artsnark said...

Blog looks gorgeous! Beautiful new pieces too.

It's almost always warm in Tampa, so the best thing about spring is the wind! We get the most amazing kite-stealing winds in March/ April. Really freshens things up

Anonymous said...

Ces réalisations sont superbes !
Bravo !!!
Hil
scrap-hil.over-blog.com
digitscrap-hil.over-blog.com

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Alisa, thanks for coming by and leaving such a a sweet message. These flower pieces are absolutely gorgeous!!! Do you sell them in your etsy shop?? I look forward to participating in many more challenges with you. See you soon!

Karen